Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Using Screen Captures to Enhance Your Lessons

In my tutorials for this blog I take pictures of my screen or things on my screen to give visuals for the directions. For presentations in the classroom I often do the same thing so I can use the examples for my lessons. For example, when organizing math lessons, I might take a screen shot of an example from the online textbook and put it in my flipchart. That way I use the same steps the textbook uses without having to recreate it.

Like in this lesson:

So I could refer to the students' page in front of them and stay on my flipchart, I took a screen shot of the page and incorporated it into the chart.


Then I took a screen shot of the chart they would fill out and typed in my numbers over it.


I did the same thing to make a worksheet students used to do at their seats and turn it into an interactive lesson. (The worksheet was first scanned and turned into a PDF file.)


If you find yourself needing pictures of things on your screen, you can do this in several ways:

On a Mac: 

command + shift + 3 takes a shot of your entire screen and saves it to your desktop.

command + shift + 4 allows you to click and drag to highlight the area you want to take a picture of then saves to your desktop.

On a PC:

alt + print screen (on your keyboard) then open paint and paste (crtl + v). You can crop from there.

I find the PC process time consuming, so I like to download a free screen capture software. I have used Screen Hunter before. You just open the software and choose a full screen or to highlight part of it. This will also usually save to your desktop or wherever you decide to save them. 

Smart and Promethean both have screen capture abilities:

Smart:
On the top toolbar choose the camera icon:  


 Then you can take a picture of anything on your computer. The camera tool always stays on top so you can go to another screen

Promethean:
Go to Tools --> Camera, and choose your option.



Taking screen shots takes seconds and then the images are incorporated into your flipchart, notebook, Power Point, etc. in the same way any other image would be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment