Saturday, April 24, 2010

Promethean and Change

Promethean technology is only as good as the person using it will make it. If you simply use it as another white board with annotating capabilities,that is all it will be. If you simply import slideshows from Power Point and show them in ActivInspire, then all you've done is shown another slideshow. One of the downfalls of the technology I have found is that there is a learning curve in implementing it into the classroom. If you make it a point to focus on how to use it and do the research, the more useful it will become. It also is so easily implemented into existing classroom routines and often serves as a more advanced replacement for a white board. I know I often use the Promethean to show worksheets, word problems, and pages from the math textbook online and annotate over them. I use a blank flipchart to write out charts as students share during language arts or word study. I love that I don't have to erase a messy white board. I love that it only takes a click of the pen to clear the screen. I also know that often times I am the only one interacting with the board. And since you can import from Power Point or a PDF, it is so easy to take what I used to do with a laptop and projector and just make it run smoother and more organized.

I am still torn as in the previous post. Interactive White Board is the name given to the technology because it is supposed to be interactive. And the "research" (read "advertising") on the Promethean websites totes it's interactivity and capabilities. But, as a tool in my classroom, why would I not utilize it to make my classroom routines run smoother, to save chart paper, to save time, and annotate over work the students are doing as we work through it? I see these as valuable time saving and organizational uses in the classroom and uses that I hope everyone who recieved a Promethean at my school is taking advantage of.

But I still don't want the endless resources and capabilities of this technology to be lost. With such a high price tag and such little money in our schools, we need to use everything we have. Not to mention the tremendous benefits I think students would recieve by variety, manipulating things on the board, and by reaching the visual and kinesthetic learners. I know, you already know this and believe this. But how interactive are you using it? How much do students use it? What are you doing that is making it a visual learner's dream come true? How has the Promethean promoted Change in your instruction and in student learning? How are you measuring it?

Please, share your ideas. And then visit me Delicious sites. I spent hours finding interactive activities and I'd love for you to tell me what you find useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment