Sunday, April 11, 2010

Inserting Video in Another Way

You may remember that I put a video in a recent flipchart on summarizing. I inserted it so that it would begin playing as soon as I flipped to that slide. Well, I figured out how to insert video that begins playing in another way. I had downloaded a flipchart a while ago that had me click on text to begin playing a video. As I paged through the resources online, other flipcharts had me clicking on objects to play a video. Always this video popped up on screen in a new window. I wanted to be able to flip to the slide I wanted to play the video, but not have it begin playing until I was ready. Well, I figured it out. (It's so uncomplicated)

First, I chose the video, downloaded it, and saved it to my computer. Then, I inserted the object I wanted to click on for the video in my flipchart. In this instance I am making a flipchart on plants and have chosen a video titled "How Plants Grow" from http://www.discoveryeducation.com/. Then, I right-clicked on the object (a picture of seeds) and chose "Insert Link to File". It then prompted me to choose my file, and then hit "open". Another screen pops up about inserting the file. It says things like "choose file path", "store as", and "multimedia". They are all set on default settings, which will work fine. However, I suggest choosing under "store as", the second option: "store file in flipchart". I believe this will allow me to send the flipchart to my team and they will be able to play the video in the flipchart without having the video downloaded to their computers first. Hit "Ok" and you are ready to roll.

When you do show the video, the screen that pops up can be resized if you think it's too small. (I do.)

Very cool. And easy. I figured it out myself. My motto: When in doubt, right-click.

No comments:

Post a Comment