Monday, March 22, 2010

Getting Tech-Savvy


I am nerdily excited to announce I found out that Promethean Planet has an Iphone application (for free!) and is also on Facebook. Take a look at some of the things you can do:


There is a page for the latest resources, like this "Plants" flipchart that would be great for our upcoming science unit.
I haven't found the application to be that useful yet since I can access all of this information from their website and the resources are limited. I can't create flipcharts on my phone and if I am going to be working with ActivInspire or Promethean Planet I am on my laptop anyway. But, if I'm thinking of something on the go and want to know if there's a resource out there, I can search for it. I can take the blog, discussion forums, and other information with me wherever I go and flip through at my leisure. Maybe this application will come in handy for something soon.
While searching the website for more information, I saw that Promethean Planet had a fan page on Facebook too. I fanned the page and now status updates appear in my news feed. The neat thing about that is even though they are not always applicable to my classroom or curriculum, they are new ideas and sometimes inspire new ideas in me. A recent update was about the Ghengis Khan resource pack from the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. We are studying biographies right now, so what a neat exhibit for students to see virtually from our board. And, even if I don't download that resource pack, I can see if there are other museum resource packs available with biographies a bit more applicable to my students. I searched and found no others from museums, but I did find a flipchart on Paul Revere that looks really nice. It will work great with the reading comprehension practice I was going to give my students tomorrow. Now that I have fanned Promethean Planet I'll be sure to be in on the latest news and resources and I will have inspiration for new ideas all on one page.
And, since I can access Facebook and Promethean Planet from my Iphone, these things are literally at my fingertips.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thank you for that info. I am going straight to Facebook so I can also have that resource. I want to look at the soil flipchart that you found. It may be a good way to introduce this unit that we are starting! I love it when we find new ways to access things!!!!

    ReplyDelete