Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Creating Flipcharts for Math

On Monday's teacher workday I was planning instruction for math. I love using the EnVisions Interactive Activities at the beginning of each lesson. I often use the activity as is, change it to fit my needs, or combine it with other activities. Until now I had been reading the word problems that often accompany the activities out loud to the kids, writing them on the board, or typing them up to use with the projector. Since getting the Promethean, I have been opening ActivInspire and using the screen to work out the problems and let students share answers and pictures for their word problems. Finally, it donned on me. Why am I not combining what I am doing? The last two days I have typed the word problems and directions into a flipchart, leaving room to work out the problems. We can flip through the pages, share answers, and I don't have to hold the book or transfer between programs. So easy!

Also, http://www.professorgarfield.org was awesome today. It's an interactive website we used for inferencing. The "Reading Ring" was great and really kept the kids thinking. It didn't hurt that there was a lot going on all around the screen and the game was a reading boxing match. I couldn't keep them in their seats during this lesson, but I definitely didn't want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment